Now Hiring! Human Resources Manager
Who is Merjent?
Merjent, Inc. is an environmental consulting firm with a long history of serving the energy industry. We offer a wide range of services to clients in the oil and gas, biofuels, electric transmission, wind & solar energy, mining, transportation, construction, manufacturing, and land development sectors.
Our experienced project managers partner with clients and draw upon staff expertise to address agency and community concerns, obtain regulatory permits and approvals, maintain compliance, and ensure worker safety, while minimizing impacts on the environment. We help our clients’ projects succeed by pro-actively navigating and effectively managing issues and challenges that arise.
Why Work at Merjent?
We hire and retain some of the best in the business, including people like you!
Merjent is a people-centric company and we pride ourselves on creating and maintaining a supportive and flexible work environment. And we don’t just talk the talk — this year we were selected as the #1 Top Workplace, nation-wide in the “When Work Works Award” competition, which honors companies that excel at creating effective and flexible workplaces. We were also honored to be chosen by the Star Tribune as one of “Minnesota’s Top 150 Workplaces”, and are proud to be named one of “America’s Safest Companies” by EHS Today magazine.
Merjent stands apart from other consulting firms in many ways, but a key difference is our firm’s commitment to a set of core values that guide us in how we run our company and how we work with each other and our clients. The result is a culture full of kindness, understanding, tolerance, and mutual respect that values each person in the company. We also care about our communities and the environment — Merjent encourages volunteer participation and offers matching funds for staff charitable giving.
We are seeking a Human Resources (HR) Manager with a minimum of 10-15 years of experience and a thorough understanding of all facets of HR. Previous experience at an architect/engineer/contractor firm is preferred.
Our ideal candidate is a team player and team builder who enjoys collaborating with management and other staff to develop HR policies, processes, and programs. He or she is also:
• Detail-oriented and takes responsibility for accuracy and timeliness in administering employee benefits and in ensuring that the business is in compliance with all applicable laws and best practices.
• Pro-active, forward-thinking, and a creative problem-solver.
• Able to maintain composure and sound judgement in navigating situations by managing people, issues, and legal concerns, taking all points of view into consideration, while also being decisive as to the best course of action for the company.
• Interested in working at a unique company where corporate values include teamwork, good attitude, quality and integrity, a strong work ethic, health and safety, innovation, sustainability, the opportunity to participate and grow professionally, and transparency and openness in business processes and strategic plans — a company with a flat organizational structure that avoids bureaucracy and red tape.
Required Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree in a business, industrial relations, human resources, or related area and at least 15 years of human resources generalist experience, or a Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management and 10 years of experience, or an appropriate combination of education and experience.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities:
• Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct, and evaluate our human resources programs.
• Directly responsible for staffing, benefits administration, state unemployment claims, wage verification reporting, hearings, and other functions, as identified/required.
• Provide employee advocacy in personnel matters.
• Evaluate and advise management on the impacts of new employment law, benefits issues, and the regulatory environment which may impact staff and the company.
• Make recommendations to, and partner with, management to develop HR policies and procedures that are consistent with Merjent culture. Implement and apply HR policies and procedures.
• Partner with our Compensation Committee to refine and implement an evolving performance review process and associated compensation structures.
• Facilitate drug and alcohol testing as required by clients for safety-sensitive positions.
• Grow and administer various HR initiatives, such as professional development, leadership, mentorship, award program applications, and the Employee Handbook.
• Maintain/improve the Human Resources Information System.
• Participate in staff meetings, functional group meetings, council meetings, and others, as requested — to provide input and as an opportunity to interact with staff, understand our organization and unique culture, and build relationships.
This is a full-time exempt position in our Minneapolis, Minnesota office. Merjent offers a competitive compensation/benefits package; an award-winning work environment; a culture that values each staff member and promotes employee safety, health, and wellness; and free garage parking.
For this position the work is generally performed in an open office environment, using standard office equipment. The working environment is favorable. Work requires sitting for prolonged periods, including computer work and document review.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We believe in the benefits of workforce diversity and we recruit and hire the best person for each position, based solely on their qualifications and their ability to perform the job, with reasonable accommodation.
How to Apply
Candidates for the Human Resources Manager position please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our website Careers page for details.